If you run an ecommerce site and aren’t currently investing in email marketing, you need to rethink your digital strategy ASAP. Of all marketing channels, email typically has the best ROI and is an essential component to any good, comprehensive digital plan. Don’t believe me? Maybe these metrics will convince you:
– 89% of marketers say that email is their primary channel for lead generation (Mailigen)
– 80% of retail professionals indicate that email marketing is their greatest driver of customer retention (eMarketer)
– Across every demographic, email was the most popular channel. 64% prefer email to communicate with companies (MarketingSherpa)
Email is a powerful marketing tool – for both retention and acquisition, B2B and B2C – and learning how to use it correctly is essential for success in 2017.
When clients come to us for email marketing advice or services, here are some questions they typically ask, along with the SD team’s answers:
Q: I want to invest in a new ESP, but how do I figure out which one is best for me?
A: We’ll help you figure out which ESP makes the most sense after reviewing some of the following metrics: email list size, email marketing budget, current email metrics (open rate, click-through rate, segments), and overall content strategy. If you have a small budget and limited team members to handle design, strategy, and execution, we might recommend an ESP like MailChimp (with an add-on like Windsor Circle) to get you started. If you’re already on MailChimp and looking to increase your budget and develop a more complex, layered strategy, we might recommend an ESP like Dotmailer, Listrak, or Bronto. We won’t know for sure until we do some analysis and learn more about your brand.
Q: I’m currently using a sophisticated ESP, but I’m not seeing the results I expected. What am I doing wrong?
A: There could be a number of issues with your current ESP (maybe technical, maybe strategy-based), but here are some common ones we’ve seen in the past:
– You’re not sending enough emails. Brands often worry about inundating customers with too many messages and shy away from a daily send schedule.
– You’re not segmenting. The ability to segment email lists and individualize email campaign messaging are the most effective personalization tactics for 51% and 50% of marketing influencers respectively. (Hubspot)
– You haven’t kept up with list maintenance. If your list is full of customers who clearly aren’t interested in what you’re offering, it’s no wonder you’re not getting the engagement you need.
– You’re not utilizing your ESP for transactional emails. Transactional emails have 8x more opens and clicks than any other type of email, and can generate 6x more revenue. (Experian)
– You’re dealing with an undiagnosed technical issue that’s preventing you from properly utilizing your ESP.
Q: I have an internal design and content marketing team, but I really need help with strategy. Can I hire SD to help with segmentation, planning, and execution?
A: Yes! We’re available to help in any capacity. If you already have a team who handles content creation, hire us for just strategy. If you need full service, we offer that, too. If we haven’t worked with you before, we would suggest beginning any engagement with complimentary design and strategy email audits. Once we have a better idea of what you’re currently doing, we can formulate a plan to help you best utilize our services. Shoot us an email and we’ll get back to you with next steps.
With an ROI of around 4,300%, email practically pays for itself (Copyblogger). Ensure that your company is taking full advantage of everything email marketing has to offer.
Written by: Lindsay Pugh, Digital Marketing Analyst